INFRARED TRANSMITTING SILVER HALIDE FIBERS AND THEIR APPLICATIONS
There is a wide interest in the development of optical fibers for the mid - IR (i.e. 3-30mm). AgClBr crystals are extruded in our laboratory to form fibers, which are flexible, non-toxic, non-hygroscopic and highly transparent in the mid-IR. These silver halide fibers have made it possible to carry out advanced research and development, which will be discussed in this talk:
(1) Non - contact fiberoptic thermometry.
(2) Laser power transmission through IR fibers (e.g. laser cutting or heating).
(3) Laser bonding of tissues - clinical studies.
(4) Fiberoptic evanescent wave spectroscopy and its applications:
- Environmental protection (e.g. monitoring of pollution in water and soil).
- Homeland Security (e.g. online monitoring of poisons in water).
- Early diagnosis of diseases, such as cancer – clinical studies.
(5) Periodic structures of IR Fibers:
a. Thermal imaging through ordered bundles of fibers.
b. Novel photonic crystal fibers.
(6) Single mode fibers and waveguides for mid - IR astronomy (e.g. nulling interferometry).
(7) Doped AgClBr crystals and fibers for mid - IR amplifiers and lasers (e.g. countermeasures against shoulder launched missiles).
(8) Near-field scanning mid-IR microscopy with a sub-wavelength resolution (e.g. the study of individual living cells or of individual components in integrated electronic circuits).
תאריך עדכון אחרון : 29/05/2013