פרופ' בנימין ארנברג, ז"ל
Experimental spectroscopy in biophysics: absorption, emission and resonance Raman techniques in the study of membrane properties, bioenergetics and vision. Membrane-probe interactions. Photosensitized damage in biophysical systems, photodynamic treatment of cancer cells. Nanoparticles as carriers and enhancers of biological photophysics. Electrochromic and metallochromic dyes and ion transport through membranes.
- 1978 Ph.D. in Chemical Physics, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot. The Yashinsky Prize of the Feinberg Graduate School, Weizmann Institute of Science.
- 1978-1979 Postdoctoral research assistant, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. Chaim Weizmann Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- 1980-1992 Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor, Department of Physics, Bar Ilan University.
- 1985-1986 & 1988 Visiting Associate Professor, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Conn.
- 1993 Professor, Dept. of Physics, Bar Ilan University.
- 1993 Visiting Professor, University of California at Los Angeles.
- 1994-1997 Chairman, Department of Physics, Bar Ilan University.
- 1994-1999 Chairman of the Bar Ilan University Graduate School for Master’s students.
- 1994- Incumbent of the David Falk Chair in Laser Phototherapy.
- 2003-2007 Chairman of the Bar Ilan University Graduate School for Ph.D. students.
- 2007 Visiting Professor, University of Sydney.
- 2009-2011 Dean of the Faculty of Exact Sciences
- 2011-2015 Vice President for Research
- Recipient of Research grants from: US-Israel Binational Science Foundation; Israel Academy of Sciences, Basic Research Foundation; Israel Council for Higher Education Equipment Grant; Hasselblad Foundation Research Grant; Israel Ministry of Health; Levitan Research Grant; Lusinchi Research Grant in Applied Life Sciences; Israel Ministry for the Absorption of Immigration; Israel Ministry of Science and Technology; Science Research & Development Directorate of the European Union; Katz Family Grant Incentive Program
 The correlation between photosensitizers' membrane localization, membrane-residing targets and photosensitization efficiency. S. Ytzhak, S. Bernstein, L.M. Loew & B. Ehrenberg. SPIE 7380, 7380291-10.
 The binding of analogs of porphyrins and chlorins with elongated side chains to albumin. S. Ben-Dror, I. Bronshtein, H. Weitman, K.M. Smith, W.G. O’Neal, P.A. Jacobi & B. Ehrenberg. Eur. Biophys. J. 38, 847-855
 Complexation of Mg-tetrabenzoporphyrin with pyridine enhances singlet oxygen generation and affects its partitioning into apolar microenvironments. H. Weitman, S. Shatz & B. Ehrenberg. J. Photochem. Photobiol. A: Chemistry 203, 7-12
 The localization and photosensitization of modified chlorin photosensitizers in artificial membranes. S. Ben Dror, I. Bronshtein, Y. Garini, W.G. O’Neal, P.A. Jacobi & B. Ehrenberg. Photochem. Photobiol. Sciences 8, 354-361
 The effect of solution electrolytes on the uptake of photosensitizers by liposomal membranes. A salting-out effect. R. Minnes, S. Ytzhak, H. Weitman & B. Ehrenberg. Chem. Phys. Lipids, 155, 38-42.
 Spectroscopy, binding to liposomes and production of singlet oxygen by porphyrazines with modularly variable water solubility. A. Sholto, S. Lee, B.M. Hoffman, A.G.M. Barrett & B. Ehrenberg. Photochem. Photobiol. 84, 764-773.
 Dithiaporphyrin derivatives as photosensitizers in membranes and cells. R. Minnes, H. Weitman, Y. You, M. R. Detty & B. Ehrenberg. J. Phys. Chem. B. 112, 3268-3276.
 Hydrophobicity, membrane binding and topography in membranes of silicon phthalocyanines with axial ligands of varying lengths. A. Sholto & B. Ehrenberg. Photochem. Photobiol. Sciences 7, 344-351.
 The effect of lipid composition, bilayer phase and temperature on the uptake of hematoporphyrin by liposomal membranes. R. Minnes, H. Weitman & B. Ehrenberg. Journal of Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines 11, 577-585.
 In Vitro and In Vivo Photosensitization by Protoporphyrins Possessing Different Lipophilicities and Vertical Localization in the Membrane. I. Bronshtein, S. Aulova, A. Juzeniene, V. Iani, L-W. Ma, K.M. Smith, Z. Malik, J. Moan & B. Ehrenberg. Photochem. Photobiol. 82, 1319–1325.
 On the correlation between hydrophobicity, liposome binding and cellular uptake of porphyrin sensitizers. S. Ben-Dror, I. Bronshtein, A. Wiehe, B. Röder, M.O. Senge & B. Ehrenberg. Photochem. Photobiol. 82, 695-701.
 Enhanced Acidity, Photophysical Properties and Liposome Binding of Perfluoroalkylated Phthalocyanines Lacking C-H Bonds. R. Minnes, H. Weitman, H.-J. Lee, S.M. Gorun & B. Ehrenberg. Photochemistry and Photobiology 82, 593–599
 Novel Methyl Helianthrones as Photosensitizers: Synthesis and Biological Evaluation. S. Rahimipour, N. Litichever-Coslovskyz, M. Alaluf, D. Freeman, B. Ehrenberg, L. Weiner, Y. Mazur, M. Fridkin & Y. Koch. Photochem. Photobiol. 81, 250–258.
 The Effect of pH on the Topography of Porphyrins in Lipid Membranes. I. Bronshtein, K.M. Smith & B. Ehrenberg. Photochem. Photobiol. 81, 446–451.
 Porphyrin Depth in Lipid Bilayers as Determined by Iodide and Parallax Fluorescence Quenching Methods and Its Effect on Photosensitizing Efficiency. I. Bronshtein, M. Afri, H. Weitman, A.A. Frimer, K.M. Smith & B. Ehrenberg. Biophys. J. 87, 1155-1164.
 Active Oxygen Chemistry within the Liposomal Bilayer, Part III: Locating Vitamin E, Ubiquinol and Ubiquinone and their Derivatives in the Lipid Bilayer. M. Afri, B. Ehrenberg, Y. Talmon, Y. Cohen & A.A. Frimer. Chem. Phys. Lipids 131, 107-121.
 Specificity of photosensitizer accumulation in undifferentiated versus differentiated colon carcinoma cells. G. Siboni, I. Amit-Patito, E. Weizman, M. Waintraub-Broat, H. Weitman, B. Ehrenberg & Z. Malik. Cancer letters 196, 57-64
 The Correlation Between Hydrophylicity of Hypericins and Helianthrone: Internalization Mechanisms, Subcellular Distribution and Photodynamic Action in Colon Carcinoma Cells. G. Siboni, H. Weitman, D. Freeman, Y. Mazur, Z. Malik & B. Ehrenberg. Photochem. Photobiol. Sciences 1, 483 – 491.
 Interaction of dicarboxylic metalloporphyrins with liposomes. The effect of pH on membrane binding revisited. M. Kepczynski & B. Ehrenberg. Photochem. Photobiol. 76, 486-492
 Do Liposome-Binding Constants of Porphyrins Correlate with Their Measured and Predicted Partitioning Between Octanol and Water? M. Kępczyński, R.P. Pandian, K.M. Smith & B. Ehrenberg. Photochem. Photobiol., 76, 127-134
 The Depth of Porphyrin in a Membrane and the Membrane's Physical Properties Affect the Photosensitizing Efficiency. A. Lavi, H. Weitman, R.T. Holmes, K.M. Smith & B. Ehrenberg. Biophys. J. 82, 2101-2110
 Spectroscopic Probing of the Acid-Base Properties and Photosensitization of a Fluorinated Phthalocyanine in Organic Solutions and Liposomes. H. Weitman, S. Schatz, H.E. Gotlieb, N. Kobayashi & B. Ehrenberg. Photochem. Photobiol. 73, 473-481
 Solvatochromic Effects in the Electronic Absorption and NMR Spectra of Hypericin in Organic Solvents and in Lipid Bilayers. H. Weitman, M. Roslaniec, A.A. Frimer, M. Afri, D. Freeman, Y. Mazur & B. Ehrenberg. Photochem. Photobiol. 73, 110-118
 Single-photon photolysis of C60, C70, C76, and C84 in solutions. L. Juha, B. Ehrenberg, S. Couris, E. Koudoumas, S. Leach, V. Hamplova, Z. Pokorna, A. Mullerova & P. Kubat. Chem. Phys. Lett. 335, 539-544
 Interaction of novel cationic meso-tetraphenylporphyrins in the ground and excited states with DNA and nucleotides. P. Kubat, K. Lang, P. Anzenbacher, K. Jursikova, V. Kral & B. Ehrenberg. J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. I, 933-941
 Mitochondrial localization and photodamage during photodynamic therapy with tetraphenylporphines. E. Weizman, C. Rothmann, L. Greenbaum, A. Shainberg, M. Adamek, B. Ehrenberg & Z. Malik. J. Photochem. Photobiol. B 59, 92-102
 Liposome binding constants and singlet oxygen quantum yields of hypericin, tetrahydroxy helianthrone and their derivatives: studies in organic and biological media. M. Roslaniec, C. Weitman, D. Freeman, Y. Mazur & B. Ehrenberg. J. Photochem. Photobiol. B. 57, 149-158
 Principal component analysis of the absorption and resonance Raman spectra of the metallochromic indicator antipyrylazo III. E. Pevzner & B. Ehrenberg. Spectrochimica Acta A 56, 637-651
- Memberships and participation in organizing international conferences:
- Co-organizer and chairman of the Conference on Photodynamic Therapy of Cancer, Biomedical Optics Europe, Lille, France, 1994.
- Member of the scientific committee of the Conference on Fluorescence Microscopy and Fluorescent Probes, Prague, Czech Republic, 1995.
- Co-organizer and chairman of the Conference on Photodynamic Therapy of Cancer, Europto, Barcelona, Spain, 1995.
- Elected Officer and member of the Presidential Board of the European Society for Photobiology, 1995-1997.
- Member of the organizing committee of the International Symposium on Bioelectro- chemistry and Bioenergetics, Israel, 1996.
- Member of the organizing committee of the First Congress of the World Association for Laser Therapy, Jerusalem, May 1996.
- Chairman of the Europto Conference on Photochemotherapy, Vienna, Austria, September 1996.
- Chairman of the Europto Conference on Photochemotherapy, San Remo, Italy, September 1997.
- Chairman of the Europto Conference on Photochemotherapy, Stockholm, Sweden, September 1998.
- Member of the scientific committee of the 3rd Conference on Fluorescence Microscopy and Fluorescent Probes, Prague, Czech Republic, 1999.
- Member of the international scientific committee of the 6th Conference on Methods and Applications of Fluorescence Spectroscopy (MAFS), Paris, 1999.
- Member of the international scientific committee of the 7th Conference on Methods and Applications of Fluorescence: Spectroscopy, Imaging and Probes, Amsterdam, 2001.
- Member of the international scientific committee of the 8th Conference on Methods and Applications of Fluorescence: Spectroscopy, Imaging and Probes, Prague, 2003.
- International Scientific Committee of the 10th Congress of the European Society for Photobiology, Vienna, 2003.
- Organizer and chairman of symposium “Porphyrinic Pigment-Membrane Interactions" at ICPP3, New Orleans, 2004.
- Organizer and chairman of symposium “Physical chemistry of photosensitizers" at the 11th Congress of the European Society for Photobiology, Aix-les-Bains, France, 2005.
- Organizer and chairman of symposium “Biophysics of Photosensitization" at the 12th Congress of the European Society for Photobiology, Bath, UK, 2007.
- Member of Scientific Committee and organizer and chairman of Symposium on: "Photosensitization - Biophysical, photophysical and spectroscopic aspects" at the 13th Congress of the European Society for Photobiology, Wroclaw, Poland, 2009.
- Associate Editor, Photochemistry and Photobiology.