Prof. Vivian (Haim) Halpern
- Theory of relaxation processes in solids, and in particular of dielectric relaxation.
- Theory of the glass transition and of the properties of supercooled liquids and glasses
- Date of birth: 18th March 1939
- B.A. Cambridge University 1960
- Ph.D. Oxford University 1964
- Research Fellow, Imperial College London, 1964-1966
- Senior Lecturer Bar-Ilan University 1966-1974
- Associate professor Bar-Ilan University 1974-1992 Professor Bar-Ilan University 1992 -
- Secretary, Israel Physical Society, 1980-1982 Treasurer, Israel Physical Society, 1988-1991
 Nonexponential relaxation and fragility in a model system and in supercooled liquids. V. Halpern, J. Chem. Phys 124, 214508
 The effect of cluster dynamics on the alpha=-relaxation in supercooled liquids. V, Halpern, J. Non-Cryst. Sol. 351 2900-2904
 Simple Model for ac Ionic Conduction in Solids. Bisquert J, Halpern V and Henn F. J. Chem Phys. 122 151101.
 BOOK - PHASE TRANSITIONS - A Brief Account with Modern Applications. Gitterman M and Halpern V. World Scientific
 Theory of Resonant Absorption of THz Frequency Waves by Boson Peak Excitations in Glasses. Klinger M I and Halpern V. J. Non-Cryst. Sol. 345&346 239-241
 The Role of Cluster Dynamics in the Alpha-Relaxation of Supercooled Liquids. Halpern V. Europhys. Lett. 67 460-463
 Soft-mode-dynamics Model of Anomalous Thermal Vibrational Properties of Glasses. Klinger M I and Halpern V. Phys. Lett. A 313 448-454
 Thermally Stimulated Currents in Glassy Systems. V. Halpern. J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 36 169-175
 Resonant Absorption Mechanism for THz Frequency Ultrasonic and Electromagnetic Waves in Glasses. Klinger M I and Halpern V Phys. Lett A 310 241-245
 Inhomogeneities as a result of non-exponential relaxation in disordered systems. Halpern V J. Phys: Condens. Matter 14 2475-2483
 Photostructural Changes in Glassy Semiconductors: Franck-Condon and Relaxation Transitions in Negative-U Centers. M. I. Klinger, V. Halpern and F. Bass, Phys stat sol (b) 230 39-45
 Cooperative transitions in the random energy model for supercooled liquids V. Halpern Phil. Mag. B 81 1237-1247
 The effect of the cooling rate on the fictive temperature in some model glassy systems V. Halpern and J. Bisquert, J. Chem. Phys. 114 9512-17
 Analysis by thermally stimulated currents of the frequency power-law domains of the dielectric loss. J. Bisquert and V. Halpern, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 34 968-975
 Theoretical model of photostructural changes in glassy semiconductors F. Bass, V. Halpern and M. I. Klinger, Phys. Lett. A 278 165-171.
 A modified facilitated kinetic Ising model for supercooled liquids V. Halpern J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 12 4303-4311 .
- Development of theories for the observed dielectric relaxation behavior of disordered solids and of supercooled liquids
- Calculations of the properties of glasses (excitation spectrum, boson peak, specific heat, thermal conductivity)
- Development of a theory of the glass transition
- Calculations of thermally stimulated currents for model systems.